Everything you need to know to file a housing discrimination complaint with the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD)

If you believe you have experienced discrimination in renting or buying a home, getting a mortgage, or other housing-related activities because of your race, color, national origin, religion, sex, familial status, or disability, you may file a complaint with HUD. HUD will investigate your complaint for free.

Throughout the investigation, HUD will try to help both sides resolve the complaint. If no agreement is reached, and HUD’s investigation leads to a finding that discrimination has likely occurred, it may bring a legal action on your behalf. HUD will seek to address the harm caused by the discrimination, and to prevent future discrimination, by seeking compensation, changes to policies and procedures, and/or training.

Fair housing complaints can be filed against:

  • Property owners, property managers, developers, real estate agents, mortgage lenders, homeowners associations, insurance providers, and others who affect housing opportunities

What to know before filing a complaint?

  • Who can file?
    • Anyone who has been or will be harmed by a discriminatory housing practice may file a complaint.
  • How much does it cost to file a complaint?
    • Filing a complaint through HUD is completely free – both for individuals and community groups
  • Is there a time limit for filing?
    • You must file your complaint within one year of the last date of the alleged violation.
  • Can you get in trouble for filing a complaint?
    • Retaliation is illegal. You cannot be punished for filing a complaint.
  • Are there resources to help you file?
    • HUD provides a toll-free teletypewriter (TTY) line: 1-800-877-8339. You can also ask for other disability-related assistance when you contact HUD. HUD will accept complaints made in any language, and will provide interpreters upon request.

Be prepared to provide:

  • Your name & address
  • The name and address of the person(s) or organization your complaint is against;
  • The address or other identification of the housing or program involved;
  • A short description of the event(s) that cause you to believe your rights were violated; and
  • The date(s) of the alleged violation.

4 Ways to submit a complaint:

  1. Online Portal
    • You can fill out a form directly on HUD’s website (English or Spanish)
  2. Email
  3. Phone
  4. Mail
    • If utilizing email, phone, or mail, HUD recommends you direct the complaint to one of HUD’s regional offices utilizing this form.